Monday, April 5, 2010

Healthy Allergies - a remedy

For those of us who suffer from spring allergies, the phrase "Spring has sprung", has a very different ring compared to non-allergy sufferers. Growing up I never had allergy issues. I would go outside as a kid during any season with no adverse affects.

However, my life changed one spring day after I had graduated from college and moved to southern Indiana. Spring was stinging like a bee...especially in my eyeballs. I could barely open my eyes for work through the first few weeks of early spring. I hadn't changed my lifestyle, so the only thing that seemed to be causing the issue was a move to a slightly warmer and earlier spring in southern Indiana (compared to my north central Indiana college days).

Fast forward to this spring. After 6 years of suffering through spring allergies and trying to figure out what the real problem was, I had a thought. Maybe something in my diet had caused my allergy issues and the combination of high pollen counts and a certain food were together causing me to have bad allergic reactions. What to do?

My first focus was on relieving the pain in my eyes. I can deal with a some sneezing and a runny nose. I had noticed over the past few years a thick mucus would build up in the corner of my eyes that almost certainly would perpetuate the collection of even more sticky airborne particles. With this information, I decided to go to work. What foods am I eating that would cause a mucus build up in my eyes? No clue. My first thought was milk.

I love milk, but when I drink it before I'm physically active I notice that my mucus tends to be thicker than normal. So, this spring I've been diligent to not ingest any milk. I have allowed anything with the word "cheese" or "cream" to be eaten. Just strictly no milk.

The results:
I can finally say after 6 years of suffering from severe respiratory and eye allergies, that I am doing MUCH better. Spring has really sprung over the last 2 weeks, and I only notice some small sneezing spells and very very very mild redness in my eyes (but typically only at the end of a long day).

In short, for the time being my allergy problems have been reduced greatly this season and I'm hopeful that I'm onto something.

Has anyone else tried a "home remedy" that worked for your allergies or someone you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment